Beginner’s Guide to E-Cigs & Vaping
What’s the big deal about vaping, and what is the difference between an e-cig and a vape device? You may have heard the terms “e-cig” and “vape” used interchangeably, and often they can mean the same thing, but sometimes these two terms refer to completely different devices. At Logic Vapes, we offer e-cigs, vaping devices, and various accessories for adult consumers’ (21+) taste and lifestyle. We understand the confusion surrounding these products, especially if they are something that’s just popped up on your radar.
We know that there are lots of questions people have about e-cigs and vaping devices. That’s why we’ve put together what we think is the ultimate Beginner’s Guide to e-cigs, to help answer the e-cig and vape questions you may have:
- - what e-cigs are
- - why they are different from other products
- - how they work
- - the different types of e-cigs and vape devices available
- - e-cig safety
We will provide you with in-depth, detailed information that will help you decide what is right for you when choosing an e-cig or vaping device, and answer some frequently asked questions we’ve had from new users. Ready to learn all about e-cigs and vape devices? We’re ready to help, so let’s get started!
WHAT IS AN E-CIG AND WHY IS IT DIFFERENT?
This is a question we get asked a lot! Basically, an e-cig is a battery powered, hand held electronic cigarette or vaporizer. e-cigs are different from traditional tobacco cigarettes. With electronic cigarettes there is no flame, no smoke, and no ash. e-cigs either use cartridges or a tank system filled with a liquid that contains nicotine, flavorings, and various other ingredients, most commonly vegetable glycerin and propylene glycol. The e-cig heats this liquid into a vapor that the user inhales.
HOW DO E-CIGS WORK?
In order to understand how an e-cig works, we must first understand the different components that make up e-cigs.
E-cigs are most often composed of several parts, including:
- - a mouthpiece
- - a cartridge or tank
- - e-liquid (aka “juice”) in different flavors
- - a heating element, atomizer, or cartomizer
- - a microprocessor
- - a battery (sometimes more than one battery is required)
- - a charger
- - an LED light in various colors (sometimes)
The atomizer contains a small heating element, or coil, that vaporizes your choice of E-liquid or “juice,” as it is often called, which is the mixture used in vapor products such as e-cigs and vaporizers, and generally consists of propylene glycol, water, nicotine, and flavorings in a base of vegetable glycerin.
A wicking material of some kind pulls the liquid onto the coil, heating it inside an enclosed chamber, and creating an aerosol, or vapor, which the user then inhales by pressing a button or activating another type of pressure sensor by simply inhaling.
While all this chemistry, physics and electronic engineering seems complicated on the inside, from the user standpoint most e-cigs works in a far simpler manner:
- Make sure the device is charged (if not, charge it following the manufacturer’s instructions)
- Fill the tank, or attach a capsule/cartridge
- Press the button (if applicable)
TYPES OF E-CIGS AND VAPES
With e-cigs and vaping devices, there are several different configurations available, including disposable styles. The cigalike style is popular due to its ease of use, convenience, value, and compact size, which allows the user to vape on the go. Other configurations, such as Box MODs, have also become popular in recent years. There are two basic types of MODs: regulated (electronic) and unregulated (mechanical). Both types generally have a bulkier design than the pen style vapes and are more commonly used by experienced vape users.
These are the types of vapes and e-cigs you are most likely to encounter when out shopping:
The compact size of the sleek pen style e-cig is the new generation in vaporizers that contains both E-liquid and a coil. This simple, elegant design makes it extremely easy and convenient to use, which is part of what has made it one of the most popular styles of e-cig among adult consumers. Small and compact enough for use on the go, these handy portable vaping devices are simple to use and easy to carry.
WHAT TYPE OF E-CIG OR VAPE IS RIGHT FOR ME?
When shopping for and choosing an e-cig or vaporizer, there are several factors to consider when deciding what device is right for you. There is a learning curve when starting vaping, just as there is when learning to use any new technology, and there are lifestyle requirements to take into consideration.
The Logic Power pen style vaporizer is rechargeable and is perfect for adult consumers who are new to vaping. This sleek e-cig comes in just two pieces and is quick and easy to assemble. Small enough to carry around, it’s ready to go when you are. The cartridges for both versions are available in four different flavors and two different nicotine levels, and refills are available in packs of three.
The size and ease of use of our Logic Power pen style vaporizer makes it ideal for travel, even for domestic air travel. Passengers on airplanes are allowed to carry e-cigs in carry-on baggage or even in a pocket, although vaping is not allowed while on board an airplane. Packing vaporizers or e-cigs in checked luggage is not allowed, however. Please note that some countries outlaw vapor products, including e-cigs and you should always check the local laws of your destination before packing a device. For more information and the latest on traveling with lithium-ion battery powered products, including e-cigs, please see the TSA website here: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/electronic-cigarettes-and-vaping-devices
E-CIG JUICE AND LIQUID
When you first start vaping you will soon see that there are two refill options: refillable tanks or liquid cartridges. e-cig juice or liquid comes in a wide variety of nicotine strengths and flavors, as well as juice or liquid that does not contain nicotine. Typically, these liquids come in a tobacco flavor, menthol or a fruit flavor like cherry. Some people prefer to fill their own tanks, but many choose to enjoy the convenience of using a cartridge-based liquid.
The key benefits of using liquid cartridges are simplicity and ease of use, no worry about spills, and the ability to switch out cartridges quickly, while on-the-go. If you want to shift between enjoying a traditional tobacco flavor one day and a different flavor the next day, you can make that change quickly and easily.
There are some steps adult consumers must take to ensure the safety of themselves and those around them when vaping. Some of the basic precautions to observe with vaping start with proper use and storage of your e-cig or vaping device. The batteries required to operate an e-cig require proper storage and safe handling for maximum battery life, power output, and performance.
- - Never use any vaping device, or store or charge a device battery, in a manner inconsistent with the manufacturer(s) printed instructions
- - If using a tank, check to make sure there is juice or liquid in the tank
- - If possible, adjust the volts or watts to the lowest setting to begin
- - Check manufacturer instructions to be sure you have the right battery
- - If using a device with a rechargeable battery, ensure the battery is properly charged
- - Only use the components and accessories recommended by the manufacturer
Proper storage and charging of your e-cig battery is essential to maintaining safety when vaping. Improper battery storage and overcharging of e-cig and vape device batteries is a primary reason e-cigs may malfunction. To help avoid malfunctions, please always follow manufacturer guidelines and safety instructions, and refer to these tips from the US Food and Drug Administration on vape battery safety: https://www.fda.gov/TobaccoProducts/Labeling/ProductsIngredientsComponents/ucm539362.htm
There are a lot of questions surrounding the topic of vaping, especially when you are new to the concept.Here are some popular questions and answers concerning the process of vaping, the associated costs, and the rules, along with our suggestions to help you get the most enjoyment out of vaping, and clear up any questions you may have.
- Are e cigs allowed indoors? Yes and no. Many local and state jurisdictions have put laws in place that prohibit e-cig usage anywhere that smoking is prohibited. Some states with comprehensive smoke-free laws permit vaping in bars and restaurants, while prohibiting e-cigs and vaping devices in other indoor places. Some advertisers suggest that the public is permitted to vape anywhere, but this is not true. Federal and state smoke-free indoor air regulations were written before e-cigs became popular, and both private and government entities can, and have, banned vaping in certain circumstances. Always comply with local laws in your state, county and city, and check with the management of the establishment where you wish to vape before assuming it is permitted.
- Are e-cigs cheaper than cigarettes? The amount you spend on vaping each year can vary a lot, and the type of device and amount and cost of juice you choose to use has a lot to do with the amount of money you ultimately spend to vape. Whether you use pre-filled liquid cartridges or opt for a refillable tank system also impacts your cost to vape. High powered vaping devices are usually sold together with more efficient tanks and atomizers, impacting the amount of E-juice you go through each day.